In order to safely geocache you will need a few items.
- GPS receiver
- Topographic map for when you get close to the object
- Flashlight: a great tool to have should your search go into the dusk hours
- Water: it is always good to have water when enjoying the outdoors
- Phone: there are many great apps for geocaching. You also want to let someone know where you are going just like with hiking, and keep the phone on you should you get lost.
- First Aid Kit: always good to have on hand in the outdoors, especially with kids.
- Insect Repellant: there are bugs in the woods.
- Batteries: make sure you have extras for every device you are carrying.
- Camera: to remember your fun adventures and log your finds. It is also great to bring a disposable to leave behind if the cache you find has one that is full.
- Rain gear/coat: always a good idea, especially in the northwest.
- Trading trinkets: bring some to leave and take one from the cache to remember your adventure.
Geocaching is a great way to get the kids involved and excited about getting outside. With millions upon millions of caches listed, there is bound to be one somewhere around your next RV camping destination. For more detailed information and insider tips on geocaching, check out some books on the subject or browse the web.